First United Methodist Church at the Chicago Temple
For over a decade, the 1923 Skinner Harp at the Chicago Temple had been functioning so poorly that it was rarely used. Berghaus removed the harp to our shop, where it was disassembled and the tone bars and other components were cleaned. The power pneumatics were recovered with rubber cloth and the primary valves were releathered. After shaving the hammers to remove flat spots on the felt, the harp was revoiced by adjusting the firmness of the felt, much like voicing a piano. Re-dedicated in May 2015, the harp plays as well as it did when it left the Skinner shop almost 100 years ago.